Small business upgrades network to SBS 2011
The client, a marketing company and client of Signal Networks for a number of years, was looking to update their network infrastructure to allow users to work whilst on the move and allow Signal Networks to support their business remotely over the Internet. The client was very keen to keep up with the latest technologies and improve methods of remote working, and business practices using IT.
• Upgrade Small Business Server 2003 to Small Business Standard 2011.
• Improve reliability of server using RAID5 technology.
• Mobile access to company email using the Outlook Web App & ActiveSync.
• Migrate users to new desktops running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional.
• Install a secure SSL virtual private network (VPN) to allow remote access to the office.
• Replacing existing firewall solution with new Cisco ASA5505 SSL Firewall.
We installed a new server with Microsoft Small Business Server Standard 2011 and moved the data and user accounts held on the client’s other server. File shares and login scripts were set up to make the users unaware of any changes. Also, a Cisco ASA5505 SSL VPN/firewall was installed and configured to allow user to work remotely and to provide the client with a secure method of support.
User desktops were all replaced with new HP Desktops running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional. All desktops were configured with a policy so the users could not change the local settings and Signal Networks could manage them remotely utilising group policy via the new server.