If you needed to answer the following five security questions, how long would it take you to find out the answers and how many different tools and systems would you need to access before you could answer without guessing?
- What assets do I currently have on my network and can someone access it without my knowledge?
- Are my network assets in communication with malicious IP’s?
- Does my network have unpatched software, insecure configurations or any other vulnerabilities?
- If my network was to be attacked, which vulnerabilities would take the most damage?
- Is my network under attack right now?
- Would I know how to neutralise a security threat if it happened?
It’s important to keep up to date with your security management and use the correct software as a hacker could attack at any time and in a variety of ways. Within minutes of targeting your network, they could have taken your confidential data, embedded your network with a virus and wreak havoc on your security systems.