Technology has developed rapidly over the past few years and traditional enterprise network security solutions are no longer able to provide sufficient protection against new, sophisticated attacks. A next-generation firewall (NGFW) is a network security system able to detect and block such sophisticated attacks by enforcing security policies at the application, port and protocol level.
A next generation firewall blends the capabilities of a traditional firewall with features not usually found in firewall products, such as intrusion preventions systems (IPS), SSL and SSH inspection, deep-packet inspection and repudiation-based malware detection as well as application awareness. In addition, the firewall’s decision-making process has been developed to understand details of web application traffic, allowing it to block threats that might exploit vulnerabilities.
Unlike traditional firewalls, a next generation firewall provides:
- Full visibility of what is happening on your network, to include all applications, web traffic, threats and data patterns.
- Identification of zero-day exploits (link to previous blog), unknown malware and APTs, isolating threats in a virtual sandbox
- Ability to block and remedy a variety of known and unknown vulnerability exploits
- Mobile Device Management (MDM)
- URL Filtering
- Virtualisation security
- Identification and control of inbound/outbound SSL
- Compatibility for both IPv6 and IPv4
- Secure connectivity via IPSec VPN
- Centralized management
- Logging and reporting
Speak to us today about upgrading your firewall!